Sunday, May 3, 2009

"Are you two going to have 'normal' pets?"

I've had people ask me that ever since TheBrit and I started discussing pets. I love animals. I feel towards animals the way that every other woman feels about children. They are a requirement in my life.

Out of respect to TheBrit's lack of pet-ownership status ever in his life (Seriously? I wasn't aware that there were people out there that never had pets. Between pets, sure, but never?), we have decided to start small.

First it was ferrets, and then TheBrit found out about African Pygmy Hedgehogs...

Now, I've wanted a hedgie for a while. They're small, they're cute, and they're pocket pets. Not high-load interaction, so they really are a good starter animal for TheBrit. Nevermind that I'm going to be the one doing most of the day-to-day care (because TheBrit comes home just on the weekend) so he won't be doing the daily or weekly cage cleaning.

Given that, I figured TheBrit wouldn't be too curious about what it entailed. Was I ever wrong. I love being the know-it-all, and I'm having to rush to keep ahead of him. He's been devouring information and I suspect that within a year of having one hedgie, we'll be getting a second, as well as the cadre of ferrets (which would be the next step up from hedgehogs, I suppose).

Eventually, I will have my cats and Great Dane. But the pet list is currently looking like this...

Hedgehogs
Ferrets
Ball Python
Cats
Giant-breed Dogs

Probably not all at once, but the hedgehogs and ferrets are looking as though they'll be within the next year. We're looking at getting the hedgie after we get back from our antipodean jaunt and the ferret will probably come a half-year later.

All I have to say to that is, YAY PETS! I miss having animals around. They make my life full.

[Edit: Apparently TheBrit kept a goldfish once. It wasn't well cared for (his admission) and didn't live all that long. Do we think this counts?]

3 comments:

  1. Not fair! In CA I'm not allowed to have hedgehogs OR ferrets. What are you doing to me?! (um, onesweettart, from Twitter & lsg, just fyi)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CA is annoying in their limitations of pets. I still find it weird to walk into Petco and see ferrets there for sale. We had to have a special license to treat them at UCD.

    Kathryn, can you believe that I know a veterinarian who has never ever had a pet in his entire life? Granted, he is a vet pathologist, but it's still so weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Robyn I'm really glad that the UK pet restrictions are for animals I'm not overly keen on having. I promise that I will take lots of photos and blog about them incessantly (as a new mother does with an infant) so you can live vicariously through me.

    @JJ A vet without pets? That strikes me as very strange. I have to say, I dislike the idea of petstore pets, but it happens. Maybe the vet pathologist is concerned about smelling like deceased critters and freaking out a pet at home?

    ReplyDelete